Sunday, June 24, 2012

5 years and a fun family weekend!

Saturday was our 5th wedding anniversary! Jim sent me 5 roses to work and his card said something along the lines of "Wow 5 years! Sometimes MK makes it feel like 50!". Ha! I'm certain our friends, family and coworkers won't know what to think when we both stop complaining about our lack of sleep! As challenging as times have been lately I'm certain neither of us would have it any other way. We have been blessed beyond measure and I know someday we will look back on this time in our lives and smile. We celebrated our big day by taking the kiddos to the farmers market in the morning and laughed when we got downtown and saw all the taekwondo folks! They have their big event this weekend every year and our out of town wedding guests had a hard time finding hotel rooms because of it! We bought some corn on the cob, okra and cherries and there was an older couple there selling pens and such made out of wood. Wood is the traditional gift for the 5th anniversary and since I hadn't found the perfect gift for Jim we were excited for him to pick out a nice pen. We told the man (in between chasing Landon) that it was our anniversary and he told us that he and his wife were about to celebrate 61 years! I asked him if he had any advice and he said there are two words a man should know to insure a lasting marriage. "Yes dear". We laughed. He also said that commitment is also a big word and that love has ups and downs but commitment is key. Having the mentality that you're committed and there is no other option will keep things in perspective. We thought that was good advice. We all have challenging times in life and we have days when we don't necessarily get along but we feel like we are in this together and even on our most challenging days we know we are in this for the long haul and thankfully we are a pretty good team and we love each other.

After the farmers market we took the kiddos to the pool and then we went to mass with the family. Afterwards we had planned on getting takeout to avoid a messy kitchen and we wanted to watch a movie. We got takeout but unfortunately the resident 3 year old had a late nap and wasn't at all interested in going to bed. So, our plans for a movie didn't work out but that was ok. We are going to the Lady Antebellum and Darius Rucker concert Wednesday and I can't wait! I know Jim is excited for a date night even though he isn't a fan of country music!

This morning Jim took Landon fishing and they caught 5 fish! MK and I stayed home to do girl stuff. I've probably not mentioned it much but I have to say...I'm more and more excited everyday that I have a daughter to do girl things with. I know I once said that I always envisioned being a momma to boys but I'm so glad God has given me a baby girl. I know she might not grow up to enjoy everything I enjoy but I have dreams of us baking and going to plays and musicals and on fun girl trips together. I just smile so big when I think about it. My mom and I have such a great relationship and I hope MK and I will too!

When the boys got home from fishing we took the kiddos back to the pool. Landon finally made his daddy happy and jumped off the side and MK took a nap in a lounge chair! I'd say even though there wasn't a fancy anniversary dinner (or even a movie on the couch) that we had a great weekend celebrating our marriage!

Here are a few pictures from our fun weekend! Next time I will get a few of daddy!




























- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: