Tuesday, March 3, 2009

RSV, Pre-School and our Little Monkey

Landon is 5 weeks old today and I'll say it again...man, time sure flies! He is still just getting cuter by the minute. We haven't had him out much as to avoid the dreaded RSV and guess what...he got it anyway!! I took him to the doctor last Thursday because I thought he was wheezing a little. They took a look and listen and told me he wasn't wheezing but that he had some nasal congestion. They showed me how to use the saline drops and nasal aspirator to get all the gunk out and he was fine. They went ahead and did an RSV test just to be sure and it was positive. I was a little shocked because aside from the nasal congestion he appeared to be fine and after they cleared that out he was breathing even better. We were told to let him sleep in his car seat so everything could drain properly, to keep saline drops in his nose and to give him Pedialyte in between feedings...they didn't give us any medicine and we don't have to do any breathing treatments. We've been doing what they told us to and I think our little guy is just fine. It stinks though that we purposefully kept him away from crowds and avoided getting him out much and he still ended up with this...but we are fortunate that it isn't much worse.

Can I just say that if I didn't love my job I would seriously consider opening up a pre-school...this town is obviously in need of good ones and from what I can tell people are willing to pay almost anything! Registration for the pre-school we would like for Landon to attend was on Monday. The way they do it is that a list goes up on the door at 5 am and after signing up you go back at 8 to see if you got a spot. I knew from friends that spots were tough to get so we planned on having Jim get there around 2:30 - 3am to get in line....and that's what we did. Jim was all prepared...he went through the garage the night before and pulled all the duck hunting gear out including a little heater that those around him in line apparently loved! It was 26 degrees out! He had the coffee pot programmed to start at 2, his Under Armour ready to go and went to bed around 9. Little did we know that others who must have really, reeeaaalllly wanted a spot started getting there at NOON THE DAY BEFORE!!!! I mean really, NOON?!?! I really want Landon to go there and I'm glad we ended up 4th on the waiting list but this is completely out of hand if you ask me. We are very lucky that Landon is going to stay with his Nana and we don't necessarily have to worry about this but it will be nice to have somewhere for him to go a couple of days a week to give Nana a break. Who knew it would be so tough!

In addition to getting brownie points for getting up at 2am to get in line for pre-school registration...I have to brag on my sweet hubby who let me sleep in until 10:30 this morning! Of course, I didn't get to bed until around 4:30 but I got 6 whole hours of uninterrupted sleep and it was AMAZING! Not only did he let me sleep in...when I woke up he had cooked me breakfast and cleaned the kitchen! I think he's a keeper! :)

Here are some pictures from our latest photo shoots and from Jim's time in line...

He sleeps a lot...

Zoe is getting used to him...




Yes, that's a tent in the background...

4 comments:

The Gasaway Family said...

Addison has RSV at this very moment too! We started out last Sat at the Ped and got an inhaler. Went back yesterday only to purchase a nebulizer to do breathing treatments and found out we have ear infections now so that got her an antibiotic. I feel your pain honey, I haven't sleep since last Friday. I pray Landon gets better and doesn't have to go through what Addison is going through right now.

Erin said...

Ha! If you'll remember my experience last year...I had to camp out (actually spend the night at my church) for ME's spot when she was 4 weeks old! Others had already been there for 2 days!!!It's unbelievable to know how tough it is to find available, and yet adequate, daycare!

Emily said...

Oh Katie, he is precious! I can't believe how much he has changed since I saw him! I think I need to come hold him again soon...when he is all better of course! :)

Laurie said...

What an awesome husband! Way to go Jim! So sorry little man has had RSV. I went thru that twice! Good luck at getting in the pre-school you want. I think I know which one you are talking about! :)